Expelled
Blinking her eyes open as they adjust to the light, Kii tries to sit up but is pulled back down by restraints on her arms and legs.
What the hell? She thinks and tries again but her strength fails her. She looks around and sees torches lining the walls. Her eyes move past a figure in the shadows then snap back and she squints through the darkness letting her low light vision kick in. It is standing purposely in a shadowy spot and it's shoulders are shaking. She sees the face and hears the low chuckling.
"Headmast-" she starts, but the chuckling break out into a guffaw.
He steps forward holding a letter with the biggest smile she has ever seen him with and it looks like tears from prolonged fits of laughter have made their way as down his face.
"Ahh, Kii. Today is a great day!" He says, stepping closer.
"I have happy news, Kii. The happiest in fact." He paces the length of the oversized table she is strapped to. She tries the binding again.
"Why am I tied up?" She asks struggling.
"Oh, you've been tied up and drugged for weeks now. Ever since you sent the last attendant to the asylum." He says waving a dismissive hand. She thinks about the man that she saw last that claimed to be an attendant while she was confined to her quarters.
She started with simple pranks like casting Light on an object or piece of their clothing and laughing as they left glowing. Or creating water above them where it would splash down all over them or even making it rain on them.
Then she got bored.
And the pranks got more devious.
She would summon monsters to chase them or paralyze them and even went as far as to inflict wounds, silence, or curse them. She realizes she is smiling snaps back to the present.
The headmaster is staring at her and his hand is outstretched. Between his fore and middle fingers is a piece of parchment, but it is folded over so she can't read it.
"I received a letter today." He pulls a pair of spectacles out of his breast pocket with his other hand and opens it. He reads it to himself as if reaffirming its validity. He clears his throat and begins to read it aloud.
"Headmaster Crichton, you are to deliver a member of your academy, Kii, to my office immediately or as soon as available in her current condition. She will no longer be affiliated or welcome in the academy or Fjögur Horns, so please see to this as expeditiously as possible."
He lets his hands fall and has a far away look as a tear falls from his left eye.
"I thought I would never be rid of you Kii. This day," he takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly, "This day is worthy of a holiday."
Kii looks up at him. Nothing is funny right now. She is dumbfounded.
"Where am I going? What will I be doi-"
"That's just the thing!" he says cutting her off, "I don't know! I don't know, and I don't care!!" He snaps his fingers and two large orderlies walk in and stand at her sides.
"I never have to see or think about you ever again."
With that, the orderlies unstrap her and pick her up. Her little legs kick furiously, but only because she thinks it is funny. She finds that she likes being up higher than she normally is, although, she would rather just ride on one of the orderlies shoulders. She had actually been thinking about leaving the academy before she was put into an induced coma. She would have left if she hadn't been required by court order to stay. But now she didn't have to!
Whatever comes next couldn't be worse than this, right?"
Headmaster Crichton packs up the symbol she uses to pray to chaos and looks it over, then tosses it into a sack with all of her other "divine instruments" and hands it to one of the large men. They start carrying her down the hall and Crichton calls out from her old room.
"Don't ever come back Kii."
No comments:
Post a Comment